Easton Animal Hospital

Seasonal Pet Safety

With holidays right around the corner, now is a great time to familiarize yourself with the various foods and other seasonal items which could harm your beloved pet.

Table Manners
     Keeping your holiday feast on the table can keep your pooch away from turkey skin, bones, raisins, onions, and other foods that can cause potential problems. Pancreatitis, a life-threatening condition in pets, can be caused by eating high-fat foods. Bones can damage your dog's digestive tract. If you want to give them something special this holiday, buy a new treat that is made specifically for them to enjoy!

Yeast Dough

     While we may be busy making breads and pie crusts for us to share with our families, our dogs should not partake in this treat- uncooked dough can cause painful gas and potential for stomach bloating.

No Desserts

     Xylitol is a common sugar-free food additive that is deadly to your animals if they eat it. Chocolate can be harmful to pet as well, so keep those yummy treats away from your animals!

Decorative Plants
     Some festive plants and flowers can be toxic to pets, such as Baby's Breath, amaryllis, lillies, sweet William, mistletoe, poinsettas, pine, and more. To be on the safe side, keep all plants away from your animals this holiday season.

Keep Trash Hidden

     Your pets can sniff out all of that leftover food (and bones!) in your trashcan- even if you can't. Keep food waste out of your house by quickly bagging up and throwing your food waste in a closed trashcan outdoors.

Simple Decorations

     Trees are lovely, but pets can tip them over if they are trying out their climbing legs for the first time! Consider tying your tree to a door frame with fishing wire to keep it steady. Even ornaments, such as tinsel and glass orbs, can cause stomach problems if ingested. Homemade ornaments containing dough should be kept away from pets. Pass on those indoor electric lights, too- chewed wires can cause serious burns to a curious animal.

If you believe your pet may have eaten something listed above, or gotten into something they shouldn't, call us immediately for further assistance.

Information obtained from the AVMA, 2019.